Each winter the influenza virus wreaks havoc on our ability to work and play. This year is another flu season everyone is talking about. So, how do I know if I have the flu?
Symptoms of the flu can include fever, fatigue, muscle aches, headache, runny nose, cough and stomach symptoms like nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Sometimes a flu virus can come on slowly or it can hit suddenly without much notice. This leads everyone wondering how they can prevent themselves and their family from getting the flu.
The flu vaccine is not completely effective. After doing some research on the CDC site, I have discovered that the flu shot effectiveness has been between 19-48 % from 2012 to 2016. That’s lower odds than the role of the dice! Moreover, this year the preliminary effectiveness rates out of Australia is reporting 10% for 2016-2017 flu vaccine.
So what can we do to support our immunity through this flu season? Here at Cypress Natural Medicine, our Naturopathic approach in the prevention and treatment of the flu virus can include vitamins and minerals, botanical medicine, intravenous treatment, and lifestyle recommendations. Using these varieties of herbal and nutritional supplements not only prevent and heal from the exposure to the flu, but boost your overall immune system as well.
Tips and Tricks:
Most of the cold a flu viruses enter through our respiratory tract.
- When you are in direct contact with someone who is coughing or sneezing, try and breathe out gently then can stop the virus from entering.
- Also, we recommend rinsing the sinuses regularly during the cold/flu season with salt water. This will keep the bugs from setting up a home. Neil Med sinus rinse bottles are a fantastic product and we have them for sale here at the clinic.
- Wash your hands regularly and do not touch your face
Our prevention plan can includes:
- Juice Plus. It is proven to support good immune function. We suggest doubling up the daily dose during flu season, or whenever we are fighting a bug. Check it out at www.respinol.JuicePlus.com to look at the clinical research behind this amazing support.
- Winter Mix. This herbal formula \has vitamin C, Elderberry and Echinacea Goldenseal, is great for prevention and treatment. Come by the clinic to pick up a bottle for your family. It taste great so the kids don’t mind it!
- Elderberry. Elderberry is a great daily support for treatment and prevention of the flu virus and many viruses that we are exposed during this season. Elderberry ( Sambucus Nigra) has some good research showing its effectiveness against the flu virus. Check out the some of the research on effectiveness against influenza A & B here and how is can support a healthy immune system here.
- Flu-Tone. This is a great homeopathic prevention and treatment during flu season. Many of the Doctors and staff here are taking 1 dropper full a day for prevention this year. This formula supports the body’s immune system against the flu virus.
- Vitamin D- make sure to check your vitamin D status with your doctor. We recommend your levels to be between 60-80 ng/ml on your lab result for immune protection this flu season.
Hope these ideas and tips support a healthy flu season for you and your family. Please call the office if you have any questions or would like us to put aside any of the above mentioned products!
In health, from your
* Each individual’s treatment and/or results may vary based upon the circumstances, the patients’ specific situation, as well as the health care provider’s medical judgment and only after further discussion of the patient’s specific situation, goals, risks and benefits and other relevant medical discussion. Testimonials or statements made by any person(s) within this site are not intended to substitute for this discussion or evaluation or as a guarantee as to outcomes. Examples of treatment outcomes in this websites are not intended to convey and warranty, either express or implied, as to outcomes, promises, or benefits from treatment. Whether to accept any treatment by a patient should be assessed by the patient as to the risks and benefits of such procedures and only after consultation with a health care professional.
MEDICAL INFORMATION OR STATEMENTS MADE WITHIN THIS SITE ARE NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN OR AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENT OF ANY HEALTH OR PHYSICAL CONDITION OR AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR A PHYSICIAN-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP WHICH HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED BY AN IN-PERSON EVALUATION OF A PATIENT.