The lymphatic system is composed of a delicate network of branching vessels that span your entire body. It is one of the most overlooked systems of the body, despite the fact it plays a central role in your overall health. Often called the “River of Life,” the lymphatic system performs the vital function of removing excess fluid and waste, destroying pathogens, and delivering nutrients and oxygen to the cells of the body. This process protects your body from toxins, allows cells in the body to function at their best and is vital to healthy immune system function.
An unhealthy lymphatic system can have a serious impact on your health. Poor lymph function is associated with many chronic illnesses, such as fibromyalgia, MS, chronic fatigue syndrome and even cancer. Common symptoms of a sluggish lymph system can be fatigue, general body aches and pains, recurrent infections or illness and swollen glands.
Unlike the circulatory system, the lymphatic system has no pump to move lymph fluid through the body. There are several natural approaches that can aid and improve the function of our lymphatic system. We recommend the following:
- Drink plenty of purified water-Dehydration is a major cause of impaired lymphatic function. Drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of water. For example, if you are 100lbs, you would drink 50 oz. of water daily.
- Exercise-The lymphatic system relies on activity and muscle contraction to move lymph around the body.
- Get a massage-Massage increases lymph flow and helps combat stress and fatigue too.
- Jump on a rebounder (mini-trampoline). Rebounding has been proven to be an effective way to move lymph fluid through the body. Just 5-15 minutes a day can be helpful.
- Dry skin brush-Using a dry skin brush in the morning before showering is a great way to move the lymph and get a great, quick start to the day. Always brush toward the heart.
- Detox at least twice a year-Detoxing reduces the amount of toxins circulating in your body which in turn will put less strain on the lymph system.
- There are homeopathic drainage products and programs designed to resolve lymph-related issues. Contact our front office for more information.